Your children are the most important members of your family, and when going through a divorce it is extremely important that they are protected. At my law office I am dedicated to upholding stability in a child’s life. I want to help you and your children make the transition as smoothly as possible from one household to two.
Oregon law requires that child custody be based on the best interest of the child. Custody can be determined either through an agreement between the parents, or a Judge can order it. The parent with legal custody of the child has the right to choose the child’s school, religion, and medical needs. The Judge will take many things into consideration when making this decision, including:
- Length of time the child has lived in their current environment, and the desire to maintain continuity
- Moral fitness, mental health and physical health of the parents
- The child’s preference (if the court can see that the child can make an educated decision)
- Ability of each parent to maintain a stable routine for the child
- Any prior domestic violence situations or convictions on the part of either parent
- Ability of each parent to meet the child’s developmental needs
I have the experience and skill that you can feel confident in. Your family and your children are very important to me, and I will work with you and defend your rights in every aspect of your child custody case.